Telephone: (514) 509-4242 Fax: (514) 509-1622 Email:


Questions about Montreal

Will I like Montreal?

Montreal is without a doubt the safest, cleanest, most fun and exciting city in Canada, and the cost of living is the lowest in North America! This means that you will be able to afford longer and more enjoyable stays here than in any other Canadian city and most cities in the USA. There are so many things to do in Montreal that it is impossible to get bored. You will love Montreal!

Should I be afraid of winter in Montreal?

Not at all, although winters are cold in Canada and Montreal can be cooler than some other cities. In January and February, snow is abundant and temperatures drop below zero degree Celsius; however, you will be well equipped with a winter coat, a warm hat that covers your ears, a pair of gloves and a scarf that covers your nose and mouth. People do not tend to wander around outdoors for hours during the winter as they would during the summer; instead, they enjoy the amazing underground city! By the way, did you know that M.I.I.L.A. is located only minutes away from the underground city?! You can also enjoy winter sports such as downhill or cross-country skiing, ice skating, tubing and fun winter festivals. Spending at least one winter in Montreal will be a fantastic unforgettable experience.

What is the best season to study in Montreal?

It depends. Each student has different temperature preferences and interests in outdoor activities. The nightlife remains the same throughout the year. Students generally enjoy summer more than the winter in Montreal, because of the warm weather, the longer days, and the numerous outdoor festivals. However, if you have never seen snow or enjoyed winter activities before, a winter in Montreal is a must!

Questions about M.I.I.L.A.

Will I have internet access?

Yes! M.I.I.L.A. offers free unlimited high speed internet and Wi-Fi access. You can either connect to our wireless network from your own laptop or use one of the workstations in our computer lab.

How qualified are your teachers?

Our teachers are all TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certified and/or have pertinent university degrees.  In addition, they all have extensive teaching experience in Canada or abroad.

Will I be able to participate in activities?

Yes! We organize activities on a regular basis. Our activity calendar is updated every session, and is posted in the student lounge and on Facebook. We strongly encourage students to participate and have fun.

What is your language policy inside the school?

M.I.I.L.A. has a strict rule to only communicate in English or French within our facilities.

Questions about Programs, Registration and Cancellations

What is the minimum deposit I have to pay upon registration?

A minimum payment is required when you register for a program, before we issue the official Letter of Acceptance that you will need for immigration/visa purposes. The amount of this minimum payment depends on your period of study.

What if I need to cancel?

This will depend on your situation and reason for cancelling. Please refer to our refund policy, which can be found in the Admissions section of this website, or contact one of our representatives. We will do our best to process your cancellation request.

Program Modifications

Modifications to the course dates may be made once at a cost of $100 (CAD). Please note that this fee is non-refundable.

What if I wish to change my program or schedule?

There is no extra charge for changing programs or schedules as long as these changes are made prior to your start date. Please refer to the policies in the Admissions section of this website under Registration, or contact one of our representatives.

Will I need to take a placement test?

Yes! You must take a Language Assessment Test on your first day at M.I.I.L.A. to allow our Director of Studies to determine your level and place you in the appropriate courses. This test consists of two (2) sections: a written section of 40 minutes and an oral section.

Do I need to pass a TOEFL exam to get into M.I.I.LA.?


Will I obtain a Certificate when I complete my program?

Yes! Once you have completed your program, and if you have passed all your courses, you will obtain an official Certificate showing the level(s) that you have completed, the total amount of class hours attended, and any elective courses that you may have taken. The Certificate will be signed by our Director of Studies. Other types of attestations of studies are also available. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.

Can I start on any given Monday?

Yes! You can start your courses on any given Monday, but we strongly recommend starting on an official start date, otherwise you may be placed in an ongoing class. Please contact one our representatives for official start dates.

Will I have to purchase any course materials?

Yes, you will have to purchase textbooks and exercise books. The cost for one exercise book and one textbook (including a CD-ROM) is CAD $60. Please note that most books are used throughout two (2) levels. Teachers will not provide you with photocopies or handouts if you do not have the required textbooks and exercise books.

Will I be able to interrupt my classes in case of emergency or if I want to take a vacation?

Yes, it is always possible to temporarily interrupt your classes, but remember that we have a strict attendance policy. Should you wish to take a break from your program, you must inform the Director of Studies as soon as possible. Please note that unattended classes as a result of a program interruption will NOT be refunded.

Can I change courses if I feel that the level is not right for me?

Before you start your program, you will take a Language Assessment Test consisting of both written and oral sections. This will allow our Director of Studies to place you in the most appropriate level according to your test scores. If you do not feel comfortable in your level, we will gladly discuss the possibility of changing your courses.

I am experiencing problems with the online registration. What should I do?

Once you submit your online registration, you should receive a confirmation e-mail within a few minutes. If you do not receive this confirmation e-mail, we may not have received your registration or you may have entered an incorrect e-mail address. Please try again. If you are still experiencing problems, please contact us by e-mail or by phone, and one of our representatives will gladly assist you.

Questions about Visas

Do I need a visa to study at M.I.I.L.A.?

If you are an international student, you are allowed to study in Canada for less than six (6) months without a Study Permit. However, depending on your country of origin, you may need a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Permit – TRP) to enter Canada. If you are only registered to study in Canada for less than six (6) months but are considering extending your stay, it is recommended to apply for a Study Permit.  Remember that although you can extend your Study Permit from within Canada, you cannot obtain your original Study Permit from within Canada.


If you wish to study in Canada for over six (6) month, you will need to apply for a CAQ (Quebec student visa) and a Study Permit. The entire process takes approximately eight (8) weeks. The Study Permit application automatically includes the processing of a Visitor Visa (if required). Please note that it is up to Immigration-Quebec and to your local Canadian Embassy or Consulate to issue or refuse visas. M.I.I.L.A. does not have any control over the issuance of visas and is not authorized to retrieve any information on your behalf.


More information can be found on the following official websites:



Will M.I.I.L.A. help me obtain my student visa?

Yes, we can help you obtain your student visa. Quebec immigration regulations are slightly different from those of other provinces in Canada. To study in Quebec, you will need to obtain a CAQ (Quebec student visa) before applying for a Study Permit. We can assist you with your CAQ application, free of charge, by submitting your application to Immigration-Quebec on your behalf directly from Montreal, as long as you send us all the required documents. If a document is missing, your CAQ application may be delayed or refused. M.I.I.L.A. is not responsible for any CAQ or Study Permit denials.


Will I be able to travel to the USA during weekends or holidays without a visa?

It depends on your nationality. The USA have a Visa Waiver Program which allows citizens from the following countries to be exempt from a visitor visa when visiting the USA for less than three (3) months: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom. If you are a citizen of any another country, you will not be able to cross the US border without a visa. There is a US Consulate in Montreal, and it takes approximately six (6) weeks to get an appointment. The US Visitor Visa costs US $100. Please note that you can also apply for a US Visitor Visa directly from your country of origin before coming to Canada. We strongly recommend checking with Immigration-Canada or the US Consulate in Montreal before you plan a trip to find out which rules apply to you.

Can I obtain a visa extension and how should I proceed?

Yes, you can obtain a visa extension. You should apply for an extension at least five (5) weeks prior to your visa expiration date. If you need to extend both your CAQ and your Study Permit, you should apply at least nine (9) weeks in advance. A visa extension is usually granted provided that you present all the required documents. You do not need to leave the country to apply for a visa extension, as they are processed in Canada. For more information, please visit or call 1-888-242-2100.

Other Questions

How long before my start date should I arrive in Montreal?

We recommend arriving in Montreal at least a few days before your program begins in order to familiarize yourself with the city, the transportation system, the weather, and your residence or host family.

How much money should I bring?

It is never recommended to carry large amounts of cash when travelling. You can order traveller’s cheques before leaving your country of origin and exchange them for cash at a bank in Montreal. Credit cards are also a safe way to purchase everyday items. You are allowed to open a bank account in Montreal if you present the required documents. You will then receive an Interac card (debit card with a PIN number) which you will be able to use almost everywhere in Canada to withdraw money and make purchases.

Will I be able to work in Montreal while I study at M.I.I.L.A.?

It is illegal for international students to work in Canada. In order to work in Canada, you must possess a valid Work Permit or be a Permanent Resident/Canadian citizen.